Heat Wave Safety Tips: Staying Cool & Healthy
Getting through a hot day takes planning and preparation. You wouldn’t show up at a worksite without the right tools, don’t be unprepared for the heat. Here are some handy tips for staying safe and cool during the summer months:
- Stay hydrated – Don’t wait until you’re thirsty! Drink fluids, preferably water, at least every 15 minutes. Experts recommend drinking 2 to 4 glasses of water an hour in excessive heat. Bring a water bottle with you to stay hydrated on the go.
- Use an ice pack – wrapping a cool towel or popping a chilled ice pack on your neck is a quick and easy way to cool off quickly.
- Dress appropriately – Cool, loose-fitting clothing in light-colored breathable fabrics is your best bet and helps your body maintain a healthy temperature. Wearing a hat can also protect you from the sun and heat.
- Wear sunscreen – Use a water-resistant sunscreen with a sun protection factor (SPF) of 30 or more while outside. Reapply every two hours or more as needed, and don’t forget to apply under your clothes — most fabric only has an SPF of 4!
- Switch your ceiling fans – If you’re using a ceiling fan to cool your space, make sure your ceiling fan blades should be set to spin counterclockwise. When your ceiling fan spins quickly in this direction, it pushes air down and creates a cool breeze.
- When possible, avoid the hottest hours – If you can, stay indoors between 11 a.m. and 4 p.m. when the sun is at its peak. Schedule outdoor work and activities in the early morning or late afternoon.